The type of data we collect
We distinguish in this policy between ‘personal data’ (this is data that you provide us in order to identify you) and ‘non-personal data’ (this is de-identified data, and cannot be attributed to you personally).
What type of personal data do we collect?
If you wish to use any of our services, we will collect and retain certain relevant data of yours, including some of your personal information.
Personal information in this instance is defined as:
- Personal Identification: Full name, date of birth, age, nationality, gender, signature, utility bills, photographs, phone number, home address, and/or email.
- Formal Identification: Passport number, driver’s license details, national identity card details, photograph identification cards, and/or visa information.
- Financial: Bank account information you provide us.
- Transactional: Information about the transactions you make on our services, such as the name of the recipient, your name, the amount, and/or timestamp.
How we handle your personal data
We collect information you provide directly to us when you register an account with us. The following principles are observed in the handling of that data:
- We will only collect personal data for a purpose consistent with the purpose for which it is required. The specific purpose for which information is collected will be apparent from the context in which it is requested.
- Personal information will only be processed for a purpose compatible with that for which it was collected, unless you have consented to an alternative purpose.
- We do not retain your data indefinitely. We will destroy or delete any personal information that is no longer needed by us for the purpose it was initially collected, or subsequently deleted.
- You have the right to be forgotten in terms of The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679. This may be done by requesting your account to be deleted in an email to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. By requesting us to delete you, you may forfeit your ability to use Coindirect’s services going forward as we require certain data in order to provide our services.
What we do and what we don’t do with your personal data
We may use your personal information to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the features and functionality of our site and services.
- Provide for internal non-marketing or administrative purposes.
- Provide information to you about updates and new services.
- Process billing and collection of any fees.
- Meet our legal and regulatory obligations in terms of the applicable laws.
To comply with legal and regulatory requirements in rendering our services, Coindirect may be required to disclose information about you and/or your account to the following trusted third parties, namely:
- Our agents, affiliates and/or professional advisors.
- Service providers assisting us in processing or otherwise fulfilling transactions and/or providing required services.
- Law enforcement, regulatory and governmental agencies if or when requested.
We don’t use your personal data to:
- Send commercial or marketing messages to you, without your prior consent.
- Sell your data to third parties.
Incomplete personal data
When indicated as being a requirement by Coindirect, it is necessary to provide your personal information to us to enable us to process your application for use of our services.
If you choose to decline from providing the requested information, we may decline to provide access to our services.
Your right to access and update personal data
You have the right to access your personal data held by Coindirect, by contacting us with a request at email@example.com. For your protection, we will take steps to verify your identity before fulfilling your request.
If there are any changes to your personal information or if you believe that the information we have about you is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date, you must inform us accordingly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may use our discretion in allowing correction requests and may request further documentary evidence of any new information in order to avoid fraud and inaccuracy.
Security measures for your personal data
We take all appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational measures to prevent the loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of personal data and the unlawful access to or processing of such data. We have systems in place to control your data in a way that minimizes its exposure.
We will take reasonable steps to identify all reasonably foreseeable internal and external risks posed to your personal data under our possession or control and establish and maintain appropriate safeguards against any risks identified.
We will notify you of any security compromises or suspected security compromises in relation to your personal data. In such an event, we will inform you of the consequences of the breach and notify authorities within 72 hours of the security breach.
We operate globally
The personal information we collect from you may be transferred to, stored and processed outside of the jurisdiction in which you live. The laws of those countries may vary from the laws applicable in your own country. Data gathered in the European Economic Area (EEA) may be transferred to, stored and processed at a destination(s) outside of the EEA.
Your account is stored by Coindirect on a secure server maintained and operated by third-party service providers. These third-party providers are bound by and adhere to the same conditions that are outlined in these Privacy Policies.
In addition to personal data, we also collect and store non-personal data, which cannot be used to identify you. The kinds of non-personal data that we collect includes de-identified data about the usage patterns of our sites. This data is useful to us as it helps us to optimize our user experience.
When you access or use our services, we automatically collect data about your behaviour that includes:
- Log Information: We log data about your use of our services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect data about the device you use to access our services, including information about the device’s software and hardware, Media Access Control ("MAC") address and other unique device identifiers, device token, mobile network information and time zone.
- Consumption data: We collect data about your consumption habits relating to your use of our Services, including which purchases you make with both virtual and real Currencies.
- Data Collected by web cookies and other tracking technologies: We use various technologies to collect data, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device.
A web cookie is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on your computer by your web browser while you browse. To make your experience on our site more convenient, we use web cookies for our sites. The type of data captured by our web cookies is non-personal data such as site traffic behaviour.
If you don't wish to accept a web cookie from us, you're able to configure your web browser to decline the web cookie that is being sent. However, declining web cookies may result in some of our services not functioning as intended.
Thanks for reading!